Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In defense of tracking cookies


Recently there has been much concern about letting advertisers track you across websites to provide relevant ads.   Let me start by stating in NO WAY is it okay for google to bypass the user's setting in the browser to display ads.   Now that's out of the way my question is what's wrong with tracking cookies?   Especially if they are anonymous but even if they aren't .  Why wouldn't you want the most relevant ads displayed to you?

If I am planning on making a trip to Las Vegas, some relevant ads might be appreciated.   If I'm looking for a new refrigerator then coupons or offers related to refrigerators are something that I would like to see.   I'm in no way interested in diapers or strollers (our kids are grown) nor as a male would I be interested in cosmetics.   Those ads are pointless and annoying to me.    Yet an ad for the latest documentary movie I'm probably going to watch.   If you happen to be a fan of apple products you'd probably like to see apple ads.    

This is not only important for me it's important for the advertisers.   Ads and marketing are built in to the cost of the goods and services I use.   If those advertisers become more efficient with their ads  then those savings ultimately passed on to me through lower prices or better products.   It's great for the advertisers since they aren't wasting money.  It starts to put an end to the saying that "Half the money you spend on marketing is wasted you just don't know which half". 
  
For decades we have received either no charge or discounted services because of advertising.   Google provides many things I use every day for no charge,  search, gmail, chrome browser.   Every social network relies on advertising, and just about every service people use on the internet.  Even before that we received "free" television,  "free" radio, and discounted newspapers.   Even sporting events and and concerts are subsidized by advertisers.   In these traditional  media sources advertisers had to spend money on people they KNEW weren't interested in their product just to reach those that were.   Now with tracking cookies I can spend that money on those people who are likely to be customers.    Better for the advertiser, better for the customer, better for the site.   The internet will even to accelerate taking dollars from traditional media the more targeted the ads can be.  More advertising pouring into sites means more services can be there and be there for no charge. 

There is little reason that people should be concerned about this, quit being scared about the concept that some guy is looking at your site history and wants to come to your house to sell you something.   Tracking you across sites improves the internet. 


No comments: